Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season. I am posting this update to wrap up the design phase of our project, and get the ball rolling on our course facilitation. I also want to confirm our proposal submissions for AECT (proposals due February 1st), and request a short review cycle from the Open ABE Designers. Without further ado …
Open ABE MOOC Facilitators & SMEs
Meeting Reminder – This Thursday: MOOC Facilitator / SME webinar on Thursday, January 7th at 7 p.m. (Central). For info: http://studio.designersforlearning.org/event/facilitators-webinar-january-7th/
Following up my email from December 9th, we are ready to move forward with MOOC facilitation planning in anticipation of a February 22nd start for the course on Canvas.net. To that end, I request the following of those volunteering as facilitators & SMEs during the MOOC:
- As soon as possible, I would like to confirm the final team roster of facilitators and SMEs who will be volunteering during the MOOC. My notes indicate that the following people have previously confirmed their interest to volunteer as MOOC facilitators / SMEs:
- Filiz Aktan (confirmed)
- Betzi Bateman (confirmed)
- Zhaihuan Dai (confirmed)
- Valerie Henderson (?)
- Kaylea Algire (confirmed)
- Camille Dickson-Deane (confirmed)
- Colleen Jackson (confirmed)
- Eric Stauffer (no – congrats on the new job!)
- Stacy Swan (? – maybe)
- JR Dingwall (confirmed)
- John Baaki (confirmed)
- Heather Lamb (confirmed)
- Lynna Casiano (?)
- Anneleise Dickens (?)
- Amanda Duffy (confirmed)
- Cheryl Keener (?)
- Keya Mukherjee (?)
- To those listed with (?) above, please confirm your continued interest to volunteer during the 12-week MOOC. These roles will be very important to the success of the project, and I want to ensure we have a committed team ready to go by our January 7th kickoff meeting. I recognize that schedules change, so those with a (?) by your name, please take 1 minute to complete this quick poll to confirm your continued interest to participate as a facilitator or SME for the MOOC, and to let me know if January 7th works for our webinar (see below).
Facilitators & SMEs: Please complete confirmation survey here: http://goo.gl/forms/jLRUzXRH2E
- As a reminder, here are important MOOC-related dates:
- January 7, 2016: Facilitator / SME webinar on Thursday, January 7th at 7 p.m. (Central).
- January 11, 2016: MOOC Listing Date (enrollment begins)
- February 1, 2016: MOOC Readiness Review by Canvas. This will be the FINAL review by Canvas. I have committed to have all materials loaded in Canvas and ready for a FINAL sign off by Hilary, our contact at Canvas.
- February 22, 2016 – May 15, 2016: MOOC Start to End Date
2015 Volunteer Wrap Up
As part of our effort to track the contributions of our volunteers, we survey our volunteers at the conclusion of each project. Given we are transitioning from the design phase to the facilitation phase, it is a logical time to ask for your input. To that end, please take 5 minutes to complete this very brief survey of your experience as a volunteer with Designers for Learning for the past 13 weeks (September 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015). Note that I’m asking you for an estimate of your volunteer hours over this 13 week period. I’m not looking for anything more than an estimate based on the average number of hours you volunteered each week on the project since September 1st (e.g. 13 weeks x an average of 2 hours per week = 26 hours total). In addition, I’ve added a few other short prompts to give you the opportunity to offer additional feedback.
Complete the survey here (est. 5 minutes): http://studio.designersforlearning.org/reflection-submission/
For those planning to attend the AECT convention in Las Vegas (October 17 – October 21 2016), the deadline to submit a proposal is February 1st. In the past, we have had 3 or 4 Designers for Learning-related sessions at AECT. Given the design and learning facilitation innovations on this project, I’m confident we can secure a few slots this year, as well. To that end, if you will be at AECT, and you are interested in submitting a proposal, please take a look at the Google Doc that I have started to get the ball rolling on the proposal submission:
SignUp for AECT Proposals: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KPuuJZrDz8U3QOn2nyXtFeUjQhy5whjlfALL9SdeO44/edit?usp=sharing
Canvas Design Review – Open ABE Designers Only
The design team turned in their deliverables on December 21st (thank you!!!!), and I’ve been working ever since to get the course loaded into Canvas. I anticipate having all materials uploaded by January 15th. As I mentioned in our prior design meetings, I would appreciate one last “push” from the Open ABE designers to help me with a brief final review of the materials (i.e. reviewing the content of your assigned section, as well as feedback on at least one other module). Therefore, on January 15th, I will send out an online survey to collect your feedback from January 15-22. I anticipate it will take you about 30 minutes to an hour to offer your feedback. This will give me about 10 days to make final adjustments before the final review by Canvas on February 1st.
Please touch base with any comments or questions. Thank you so much for your hard work on this project!