• Author
    Keymaster
    #6858 |

A question came up in our last design meeting regarding how we cover the topic of “Assessment” (meaning assessment of adult learners within the instructional modules our MOOC participants will be designing). There are a couple of issues within this issue:

• TABE et al. adult education assessments: In the interest of defining the scope of our MOOC, is it necessary for us to provide our MOOC participants with an overview of such testing as TABE, which we understand to be a common approach to determine the level of the learner in various subjects? If so, do you have a suggestion on how to summarize this assessment process?
    • Formative vs. Summative assessment: We would like input on how the assessments are designed within the instructional module our MOOC participants develop. Historically, we have focused on incorporating formative assessments that accompany our designed instructional activities (i.e. to offer learner feedback throughout instructional and learning process.), but we haven’t focused on any type of mastery assessment (i.e. is the learner ready to go to the next “level”). The reason has been that our understanding is the TABE et al. test are the best vehicle to assess mastery at a specific level. Do you agree this is an appropriate approach?
  • Amanda
    Participant

In my opinion, there’s no need to provide a summary of the assessment process.  For those who use the TABE or CASAS, they are usually provided with training from the actual companies or their program administrator on what the test is, what it does, and how to use it.  Including the level correlations of both tests for the lessons would be more useful to users (this lesson is designed for students in the X level of TABE or X level of CASAS – modifications can be made to the material to best suit your classroom needs).

Hmmmm….I like the idea of including a mastery assessment, but I’m not sure what that would look like.  Can you share an example of what you’re thinking of?

• CherylK
    Participant

It has been a while since I had experience with TABE or CASAS.  In my experience, we used it for placement only as an initial assessment.  Are these students seeking GED or ABE.  Assessments should match the learning objectives, in my opinion.  Once passed, can move to next level in this program.

If studying for GED, are GED practice tests available? Cheryl

• HeatherL
    Participant

I agree with Amanda, there is really no need to elaborate on the assessment process as the publisher of TABE has a predetermined criteria for administering the assessment and our state has its own certification process for TABE to support the fidelity of the administration of the test.

Also, considering that the TABE tests are leveled, it would be extremely helpful to create a lesson correlation tool for the skills required at the various levels of the TABE test.

I believe that the TABE test should be used as both the pre and post assessment. In other words, it would be the placement evaluation (ex. TABE 9)  and test for mastery (ex. TABE 10). However, as the student moves from ABE instruction to GED® instruction, I agree with Cheryl, the GED Ready®  practice tests are better aligned to provide a prescriptive method for instruction and eventually GED® test subject mastery.

Heather 🙂

• Amanda
    Participant

I have a slide that shows the CCRS correlation with CASAS and TABE.  If you think it would be helpful to see so you can show how the lessons align to either test, let me know and I can share

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.